Browsing has been compromised this month with the pressure of getting posters prepared for the ASM. All my trips to the library have been to dig for papers to confirm impressions and beliefs rather than furthering my knowledge base. I have still managed to get a small but eclectic mix of references some of which some of you may find interesting.
The European Respiratory Journal published a supplement in January on early detection that had some interesting papers in it:
- Detection of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in primary care. C.P. vanSchayck and N.H. Chavannes. 2003; Europ Respir J 21S39: 16s.
- Similarities and differences between asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: treatment and early outcomes. A.S.Buist, ibid 30s.
And something I have raised in the past on this site:
- Translating research into practice: how are guidelines implemented? M.R.Partridge ibid 23s
An editorial and paper in Thorax may be of interest to those of you involved in rehabilitation programmes:
- Preventing hospital admissions for COPD: role of physical activity. D.L.Morgan. 2003; Thorax, 58:95-96.
- Risk factors of readmission to hospital for a COPD exacerbation. A prospective study. J.Garvia-Aymerich et al. 2003; ibid 100-105.
Nitric Oxide has been flavour of the month recently, but what is its role?
- Multiple roles of Nitric Oxide in the airway. F.L.M.Ricciardolo. 2003; ibid. 175-182
I am always thankful not to be doing research in Scandinavia but I am glad they enjoy it, hardy souls that they are:
- Relationship between inflammatory cells and structural changes in the lungs of asymptomatic and new smokers: a biopsy study. A Amin et al, 2003; ibid 135-42.
I found some good news in the form of an endorsement of a Mediterranean diet:
- Dietary fat, the Mediterranean diet and health: Reports from scientific exchanges, 1998 & 2000. F.M.Sachs editor 2002; Amer J Med, 113: 59B
For those exercise / rehabilitation people once again, there was an interesting paper from Magdi Yacoub's group:
- Long term cardiorespiratory results of exercise training following cardiac transplantation. T.Kavanagh et al 2003; Amer J Cardiol, 91:190-4.
An example of lateral thinking:
- Relation of erectile dysfunction to angiographic coronary artery disease. H.Solomon et al. ibid 230-1
Finally, I knew excitement about food couldn't last:
- Obesity in Adulthood and its consequences for life expectancy: a life-table analysis. A.Peeters et al 2003. Ann Intern Med 138:24-32
If anybody has come across a good textbook, review or anything else of interest please send me the details so your discovery can be shared. I hope I am not the only one who visits the library or the online journals, or buys books.
Until next month, happy browsing!!